The damage termites cause in the United States creates a billion dollar business. They damage about 600,000 homes each year. Without the right prevention and control, they can do damage that can cost thousands to fix before you even know they are there. A colony can contain anywhere from thousands up to two million termites. They eat two to three percent of their body weight daily, meaning, they can create damage very quickly.
Thankfully, there are ways to reduce the occurrence of termite damage to your property. Here are some tips to help:
- Reduce moisture inside and outside your home structure. Fix leaks, make sure drainage leads water away from the house, and add water gutters to the home’s exterior if there are none.
- Repair and maintain roofing materials, shingles, fascia, soffits and other areas that might allow leaks and moisture to enter the home, allowing an ideal environment for the home.
- Inspect the foundation of the home. Check for and repair any cracks in the foundation. Look for mud tubes. These are what termites use to reach food.
- Look for cracked or bubbling paint or wood that sounds hollow when tapped. This can be evidence of termites.
- Keep 18 inches between the soil and any wood on your house, siding or otherwise.
- Store firewood away from the house, at least 20 feet.
- Have your home inspected annually by an insect control professional.
Should you want to prevent termites by hiring insect control professionals or if you suspect an infestation, contact our pest control experts at Spectrum Pest Control. We can give you a Speedy Fast Quote™ and schedule a time to inspect and spray for termites. We can estimate the size of the colony, if there is one, and pinpoint its location.
Read more information on termites here.